Volunteer Role Description
Home-based Telephone Befriender
To help enhance the quality of life for older people in the
community by reducing social isolation.
• Communicate on a regular basis with older people in
the community via telephone
• Provide friendship, support
It would be good if you:
• Are sensitive and empathetic towards other people
• Have a positive attitude
• Are open-minded and non-judgemental
• Can listen actively
• Are aware of issues affecting older people
Induction training and an online training session is offered to all volunteers and covers listening skills, referral and self care.
Weekly or fortnightly contact with service user by telephone or letter
Across Northern Ireland in each of the five Health and Social Care Trust Areas
Support and supervision:
You will be given ongoing support and you will be able to discuss any issues that concern you at any time.
As a volunteer you will: