You will act as an Ambassador for Northern Ireland and support the delivery of the 148th Open by being the 'Face' of the event. You will have the opportunity to meet, greet and inform visitors from all over the world coming to spectate at this major golf championship. The Volunteer Team will be based at key visitor areas across the town of Portrush such as the Train Station, Park & Ride locations, Shuttle Bus Stops, Coach Park and the Transport Hub. The Volunteer Team will also have a presence at various other visitor gateways including airports and train stations in Belfast, Derry/Londonderry, Coleraine and Dublin. You will play a key role in providing a high standard of customer care to visitors coming into Northern Ireland to view or participate in the 148th Open along their journey to and from the golf course. We believe the event experience starts before visitors arrive to the course and you can play a part in bringing an unrivalled WOW! experience and a warm welcome to Open visitors and make this the best Open championship ever!
Tasks will include: • Meeting and Greeting • Signpost / orientate visitors • Hand out relevant information to visitors • Host information stands • Mingle with visitors and assist in providing an excellent and informed event experience • Support everyone in ensuring a safe and clean event environment
Expectations of the role:
• A minimum of three shifts is required (there are two to four shifts per day)
• Volunteer shifts are 4h to 6h long and in Portrush are mostly located across outdoor locations (shelter may be provided at some locations)
• Volunteers must complete event specific training before they volunteer
• Volunteers are responsible for their own travel and accommodation
• Customer service experience • Patience and willingness to answer a wide variety of questions and signpost where necessary • Ability to interact with visitors • Ability to be active for prolonged periods of time
• Good communication and language skills • Willingness to volunteer in variable weather conditions
• Some knowledge of the North Coast tourism offerings
• Large numbers of patrons to deal with
• Lots of information to take on board
• Potentially being asked difficult questions
• Exposure to variable weather conditions
• Early starts and late finishes
What you can expect from us:
• All volunteers will be offered Event Specific Training prior to their volunteer shift(s)
• Branded Open bib, Northern Ireland “Made for Golf” top, cap and drawstring bag
• Northern Ireland “Made for Golf” pin badge
• Water, snacks and lunch provided during shift(s)
• Accredited World Host training offered to Team Leaders
• Volunteers doing four or more shifts will be entered into a draw and have a chance to win one Practice or Championship Ticket
• Millennium Volunteer recognition programme offered to volunteers between 16 and 24 years of age
• Free parking at Portrush Park & Ride locations
About the event:
148th Open, Sunday 14 - Sunday 21 July
Royal Portrush Golf Club
14th to 17th July – Practice Days
18th to 21st July – Championship Days
The Open makes an historic return to Northern Ireland in 2019. Golf’s oldest and most international Championship returns after 68 years with the world's greatest players competing for the Claret Jug at Royal Portrush. The Open was last staged at Royal Portrush in 1951, when Max Faulkner became Champion Golfer of the Year.
The 148th Open, Royal Portrush is the fastest-selling Championship in the history of The Open. The unprecedented demand for tickets has led to all four Championship days being sold out. It is evident from the ticket sales that there is great excitement among fans for the return of The Open to Northern Ireland for the first time in almost 70 years.
Northern Ireland will be at the centre of the global sporting world when The Open is staged outside of Scotland and England for only the second time in the Championship’s history. Sports fans from throughout Ireland and around the world are expected to descend upon the town of Portrush to watch the world’s greatest golfers compete for the title of Champion Golfer of The Year.